Chichen Itza model

chichen_itza_model.JPGchichen_itza_print.JPG

Sophomore Kohl Swift used Maya to create a 3D model of Chichen Itza.

For my Spanish project, my class was asked to create an artistic work connected to artists.  I had used Maya, a 3-D design program, over the summer and decided to create a model of Chichen Itza.  This famous Mayan ruin turned out very well in the program that I was using to create it, but throughout the project, I was wondering how to present the file to the teacher and the class. One of the ideas that I thought of was creating a physical representation of the temple.  When I came into computer science class, I was able to print it that class period with the help of Graham S. and Mrs. Goudy.  The end result had some minor flaw such as the detailed stairs missing and the railings leaving a negative inprint from the conbination of the stair and base objects. But overall it turned out really well and I was surprised at how easy it was to convert a Maya file to the printable format necessary for the MakerBot.

Mount to attach PCDuino to Parrot AR Drone

Senior Michael McCrory designed and printed this mount to attach the pcDuino to the AR Drone for the ARTeMIS project. Its dimensions are 6 cm  6 cm. x 13 cm.

Drone Mount

Drone Mount

Drone with pcDuino mounted.

Drone with pcDuino mounted.

For our Computer Science project, we needed a way to mount a microcomputer onto the Parrot AR Drone that we are programming. The best way for us to do so was by creating and 3D printing a mount that can replace the Styrofoam hull that comes with the drone. The mount that we printed fits snugly over the battery of the drone, so it also protects the battery if the drone crashes. It also has a slot for the USB and power cables to go to the computer and there is a hole just below that so that we can run lines to the battery. To top it off, the project name ARTeMIS is typed on the side of the mount.

When I was modeling it on the computer, I had to measure the dimensions of all of the components that the mount is covering. Once I had the general shape that would fit, there were flat overhangs that would have failed in the printer because it can’t print flat surfaces in the air. To fix this, I put filets on those corners, which turned the flat surfaces into more manageable curved surfaces that the printer could print. ~Michael

Windmill

Junior Alexander Eggers created a model of a windmill as a part of his Wolf Run Project.

You can see the process–printing the individual parts:

printingWindmillPiecesprintingWindmillStructure

 

Sketches from the design notebook:

AEnotebook1 AEnotebook2AEnotebook_bladesAEnotebook_parts

 

The final, assembled windmill:

windmill

Pontoon Prototype for ARTeMIS

ARTeMIS is a project of the students in the Honors Advanced Computer Science class. They want to program a Parrot AR.Drone to follow an ESD Crew boat and record information about rowing technique. Read their blog about ARTeMIS

They are designing pontoons for the quadcopter in case it makes an emergency water landing. Here it is in their words:

We knew from the beginning that we would need the drone to float just in case it made an emergency landing in the water while following us rowing. Recently, we discovered that we could use a 3D printer to create 4 pontoons that would be placed on the bottom of the drone. To create an efficient and lightweight pontoon, we had to learn how to create a computer model and print it.

After successfully printing a small ball, we printed a rounded pontoon measuring 1.5 x 2 x 4 cm. However, when it was submerged in water it had a noticeable leak that would sink the drone fairly quickly. The crack in the plastic was along a seam where the the print head started a new layer. To try and fix this, we changed the layer height to .20 mm from .30 mm and printed another prototype. After testing it, the leak was reduced to a tiny trickle that we deemed wasn’t detrimental to the overall structure. Reducing the layer height even more to .10 mm should eliminate the leak.

Another dilemma that we were facing was how the pcduino was going to attach to the drone. We haven’t given it a whole lot of thought until we discovered just how much we could do with the printer. Now we have decided that we will try to do away with the standard styrofoam outdoor hull in favor of a lightweight plastic one that we print. This will allow us to create a hull that will cover the battery of the drone, but also house the pcduino and any other accessories that we end up using. We have yet to print a prototype hull as creating an accurate model that will fit has proven difficult.

The 3D printing will prove to be a huge help in reaching our goal. We can now be more efficient and can create any part that we may need. Here are a few pictures of the printer and a prototype pontoon:

Pontoon1pontoon2

Graham Smith and Our First 3D Print Job

The new MakerBot Bot Replicator 2 was delivered in late August. It was an exciting day, but in the busy season of getting ready for school, the printer stayed in the box until we could find the time to learn how to set it up and how to use it.

Luckily, we had Graham Smith, an ESD sophomore who spent the summer working as an intern at the Maker Bot company. Graham was interviewed by Preston Hollow People; you can read about his experiences here. He set up the printer, installed the spool of PLA plastic for printing, and demonstrated how to level the build plate.

Before we knew it, Graham had introduced TinkerCad to our advisory group, who created the “We Heart ESD” design. Graham opened the MakerWare software and loaded the design to prepare it for the 3D printer. It wasn’t long before we saw the design begin to appear before our very eyes!

First Print Job for the MakerBot- We heart ESD.

There was definitely more to learn, but 3D printing at ESD had a successful launch.